As part of the celebrations of the centenary of the death of Aurélia de Souza, the Institute of Art History, FCSH, Universidade NOVA de Lisboa (IHA/NOVA FCSH), the Museu Nacional de Soares dos Reis (MNSR) and the Municipality of Matosinhos are holding a meeting entitled “Aurélia de Sousa International Congress: Women Artists at the turn of the 20th century” on 13th and 14th April 2023.
Researchers are invited to present papers on the following topics:
– Self-portraiture and Self-representation
– Women artists’ workshops
– The household as a space for artistic creation
– Painting and photography
– Material and Technical Studies
– Biographies of Women Artists
– The central role of Paris at the turn of the 20th century in the training of women artists
– Women and academic training
– Women becoming professional artists and their acceptance in the art world
– Critical recognition and historiography
Deadline for submission of papers: 30th September 2022
Aurélia de Souza (1866-1922) is one of the greatest artistic personalities of Portuguese art in late 19th century to early 20th century. Her work focuses on some of the major themes of European painting during that period, with a special interest on self-portraiture and self-representation conceived as pictorial narratives. Involving the household and her own family, and with a particular use of photography, her self-portraits are original and innovative.
Know More: Aurélia de Sousa International Congress